from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A thick cream made primarily in England by heating milk until a layer of cream forms on its surface that is then cooled and skimmed off. Also called Devonshire cream.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A thick, sweet dairy product, made by skimming the thickened layer off the top of unhomogenized cream that has been heated and allowed to stand. Fat content is at least 55%.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. thick cream made from scalded milk


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A work colleague imported Devonshire cream especially for a tea-with-scones break held today. Scones fresh-baked by Anglophile colleagues. Antique tea sets, cups and saucers, and fine linen napkins, cucumber sandwiches, petits fours. Nice.

    January 28, 2010

  • WONDERFUL on scones, and it's got that great short o sound to boot.

    Fortunately, jennarenn's waistline is not affected by her wordie comments. When posting becomes caloric, she'll be in trouble. ;)

    January 29, 2008

  • Also called scald cream or scalded cream.

    January 29, 2008

  • (n): a thick cream made chiefly in England by slowly heating whole milk on which the cream has been allowed to rise and then skimming the cooled cream from the top —called also Devonshire cream

    January 21, 2008