from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Moving or directed across open country rather than following tracks, roads, or runs: a cross-country race.
- adj. From one side of a country to the opposite side: a cross-country flight.
- n. A cross-country sport, especially running, skiing, or driving.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of cross country.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. across the country; not by the road.
- adj. from one side of a country to the other.
- adj. moving across open country rather than following tracks or roads. Opposite of
- n. a race over a course including countryside, rather than over roads or prepared paths.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lying or directed across fields or open country; not confined to roads or fixed lines: as, a cross-country hunt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. across the countryside
- adv. not following tracks or roads
- n. a long race run over open country
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I had followed the issue closely and would have the cross-country plane ride to prepare for the argument.
EarthRights International recently released a new report documenting land confiscation, forced labor, torture, and other abuses connected to multi-billion dollar cross-country oil and gas pipelines currently under construction from military-ruled Burma to China.
Saturday's march leading to the Capitol stretched for blocks on the final day of the Tea Party Express 'cross-country bus tour, which began August 28 in Sacramento, California.
A man travelling on a cross-country bus trip was struck by the spactacle of a fellow traveler tearing a magazine into small pieces and scattering them from the window.
On Friday, the "Tea Party Express" group will travel cross-country on a bus tour starting in Sacramento, California and winding down in Washington, D.C. on September 12.
The caravan of tour buses, RVs, cargo trucks and SUVs kicked off a cross-country tour Friday in Sacramento, California, and plans on holding events in 33 cities en route to Washington, D.C. for what organizers hope will be a big rally on September 12.
THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY: Family abandons beloved pets, forcing them to engage in a dangerous cross-country journey.
Any one of your seven cross-country drives — or the year I moved seven times?
We have "evidence that cross-country IQ tests are useful — perhaps crucial — predictors of the average productivity of workers from different countries."
Russ Roberts wants to know how it is that the cross-country gaps in wealth persist.