from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An effective quality or element.
- noun The position of greatest advancement or importance; the forefront.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun the
sharpedge of the bladeof a knifeor other cutting tool
- noun idiomatic (by extension) the
forefront, or position of greatest advancementin some field
- adjective Alternative form of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the position of greatest importance or advancement; the leading position in any movement or field
- noun the sharp cutting side of the blade of a knife
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word cutting edge.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.