from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A cylinder of wire gauze pressed on moist pulp before it starts through the rollers of a papermaking device and resulting in the production of a watermark.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word dandy roll.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • In papermaking, a light, open cylinder of wire gauze in a papermaking machine that smoothes wet pulp and impresses a watermark.

    February 22, 2007