from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To issue or express in terms of a given monetary unit: securities that are denominated in dollars or yen.
- transitive v. To give a name to; designate.
- adj. Of or relating to a quantity as a multiple of a unit: 12 in 12 pounds is denominate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To name
- v. To specify a monetary unit
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a specific name or denomination; specified in the concrete as opposed to abstract; thus, 7 feet is a denominate quantity, while 7 is mere abstract quantity or number. See Compound number, under compound.
- transitive v. To give a name to; to characterize by an epithet; to entitle; to name; to designate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To name; give a name or epithet to; call.
- Synonyms To call, style, entitle, designate, dub.
- In arithmetic, denoting a number, and used with the name of the kind of unit treated of; qualifying: opposed to abstract.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. assign a name or title to
Modern day Christianity and Protestantism is very different, such is why they "denominate" to something different.
Hedge funds have allowed investors to denominate holdings in gold, and exchange-traded funds backed by physical gold have become some of the most popular investment vehicles.
Applicants will have to tackle knotty subjects such as how departing countries will denominate their sovereign debt, the effects on Europe's banking system, and how to handle contracts denominated in euros.
Last month, regulators convened a public workshop to decide whether to denominate stock prices in riel, dollars or both.
Beijing wants more companies to denominate their exports and imports in yuan instead of dollars.
We and our clients were later told we were the largest holders of Italian lira denominate bonds outside of Italy, and managed a pretty good few years out of that position.
It began, “Chief among the number phases of lawlessness which first attracted attention in the South at the close of the Civil War was that of producing what government officials are wont to denominate illicit whiskey.”
This can be encouraged by the government continuing to denominate all of its contracts in dollars, including the invoicing and payment of taxes and benefits.
Many exporters already denominate their contracts in yen.
Ahmadenijad has threatened to denominate oil in Euro's and the Iranian bourse was supposed to open in March.