from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A hollow cone-shaped tool with a cutting edge on its inner face, used to point or chamfer the ends of dowels so that they can be more readily driven.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word dowel-pointer.


  • The _dowel-pointer_, Fig. 123, is a convenient tool for removing the sharp edges from the ends of dowel pins.

    Handwork in Wood William Noyes

  • The latter result may also be obtained by slightly pointing the pins with a dowel-pointer, Fig. 123, p. 83.

    Handwork in Wood William Noyes


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.