from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun One of the overlapping movable tubes of a field-glass or telescope.
  • noun In a microscope, the tube which carries the eyepiece and object-glass. It consists of two parts, one sliding within the other, so that its length can be varied at will.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word draw-tube.


  • By its means the ordinary image of one component is thrown upon the extraordinary image of the other, and the composite may be viewed by the naked eye, or through a lens of long focus, or through an opera-glass (a telescope is not so good) fitted with a sufficiently long draw-tube to see an object at that short distance with distinctness.

    Inquiries into Human Faculty and Its Development Francis Galton 1866

  • "Two, with the draw-tube closed," replied Thorndyke, "and the low-power eye-piece brings it up to four.

    The Red Thumb Mark 1902


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.