from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A machine consisting of an anvil or base aligned with a hammer that is raised and then dropped on molten metal, used to forge or stamp the metal resting on the anvil.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun Same as drop-press.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun device for making large forgings


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word drop hammer.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.