from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In anc. orthoëpy and prosody: The pronunciation of a vowel as long.
- noun The lengthening or protraction of a vowel usually short. See
- noun In ancient rhetoric: The use of a long vowel or syllable in a part of a clause or sentence where it will produce a special rhythmical effect.
- noun The use of a form of a word longer than that commonly employed. This is generally called
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Pros.) The lengthening of a syllable from short to long.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
dilatation: for example, bronchiectasis, which refers to a pathologic dilatation of the bronchi of the lung.
- noun The lengthening of a
syllablefrom short to long.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun dilatation or distension of a hollow organ
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.