from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Qualified or entitled to be chosen: eligible to run for office; eligible for retirement.
- adj. Desirable and worthy of choice, especially for marriage: an eligible bachelor.
- adj. Football Allowed under the rules to catch a forward pass: an eligible receiver.
- n. A person who is eligible.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. suitable; meeting the conditions; worthy of being chosen
- n. One who is eligible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. That may be selected; proper or qualified to be chosen; legally qualified to be elected and to hold office.
- adj. Worthy to be chosen or selected; suitable; desirable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fit to be chosen; worthy of choice; desirable: as, an eligible tenant.
- Qualified to be chosen; legally qualified for election or appointment.
- n. One who is qualified to be chosen or elected; an eligible person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. qualified for or allowed or worthy of being chosen
The term 'eligible beneficiary' means any individual who is an active enrollee in the CLASS program and, as of the date described in subparagraph B
"What he's done and what he's done to reclaim his career and seemingly the kind of person that he has become makes him -- I don't even want to use the word eligible -- but you know, it's time," he said.
The Recovery Act allowed investors to exclude 75% of their profits if they invested in eligible small businesses between mid-February 2009 and the end of this year.
But recently, city officials have been concerned whether Mr. Smith's group would be able to meet a year-end deadline to remain eligible for the $20 million of federally backed financing.
April 25, 2009 - Families living in eligible areas of Montgomery County are invited to join the Study.
Fredrik Wentzel (Almtuna) — Second-year eligible is a classic late bloomer who has come out of nowhere and continued to impress us by taking Almtuna to the Swedish Elite League qualifying round, posting great numbers.
Thanks to Brissenden, his black suit was out of pawn and he was again eligible for dinner parties.
The benefit is they remain eligible to enter legally in the future whereas those involuntarily deported are subject to a strict ten year bar.
It has done this with a range of non-standard measures, the most effective and enduring of which have been a policy of unlimited lending to banks that can post eligible collateral, and a big relaxation of the definition of eligible collateral itself— effectively lending hard cash against junk paper.
And will the Williamses remain eligible all season?