from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To set (a gem, for example).
- transitive v. To set with or as if with gems: enchase a brooch.
- transitive v. To decorate or ornament by inlaying or engraving.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To set (a gemstone etc) into.
- v. To be a setting for.
- v. To decorate with jewels, or with inlaid ornament.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To incase or inclose in a border or rim; to surround with an ornamental casing, as a gem with gold; to encircle; to inclose; to adorn.
- transitive v. To chase; to ornament by embossing or engraving.
- transitive v. To delineate or describe, as by writing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To drive or chase away.
- To inlay; incrust with precious stones or the like.
- Hence To incrust or enrich in any manner; adorn by ornamental additions or by ornamental work.
- To chase, as metal-work. See chase, 1.
- To inclose or contain as something enchased.
And how meanly soever we account of their Mill-stones; yet there they drill them, and enchase them in Rings, which afterward they send to the great Soldane, and have whatsoever they will demaund for them.
We soon left behind the ominous cone of Vesuvius, reported by the best judges to be at present in so unsound a state that nothing can prevent its early fall; sunset left us near the grand precipices of Anacapri, and morning found us with Ustica on our beam, and the semicircle of mountains which enchase the gem of Palermo gradually unfolding their beauties.
Fresh washed in lofty ocean waves, he doth the sky enchase.
To chase, or enchase, is not properly said of the gold; but of the jewel which it secures with hoops or ridges, (French, _en_chasser [O]).
She may turn out to be a pearl of a wife, this young lady whom you are requested to enchase in gold.
As his parts were extraordinary, so he well knew how to improve them; and not only to polish the diamond, but enchase it in the most solid and durable metal.
Sohne stylist is amazing talent and the design idea again refreshingly unideological: platinum enchase 256 diamond, 379 purple black sapphire, six A.stralia opal and 6 ruby let "dragon" yi yi is unripe brightness, with different sizes of diamond gradient of technology which has sculpture, dragon, hollow-out the gems to design makes the light through the whole day, "dragon" crystal fully, lifelike.
Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov has ordered additional measures to enchase antiterrorist security of military objects in the Southern Military District of Russia, official spokesman for the Ministry, Col. Aleksei Kuznetsov said.
Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov has ordered additional measures to enchase antiterrorist security of military objects in the Southern Military District of Russia, Col. Kuznetsov said.
Then she turned them over and, behold, the kitchen wall crave asunder, and therefrom came a young lady, fair of form, oval of face, perfect in grace, with eyelids which Kohl lines enchase. 106 Her dress was a silken head kerchief fringed and tasseled with blue: a large ring hung from either ear; a pair of bracelets adorned her wrists; rings with bezels of priceless gems were on her fingers; and she hent in hand a long rod of rattan cane which she thrust into the frying pan, saying, O fish!