from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of erne.
- v. To run; flow.
- v. To (cause to) coagulate; curdle (milk) by adding rennet and applying heat.
- v. To stir with strong emotion; grieve; mourn.
- v. To pain; torture.
- v. (of the eyes) To cause to water; smart.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sea eagle, esp. the European white-tailed sea eagle (Haliæetus albicilla).
- intransitive v. To stir with strong emotion; to grieve; to mourn. [Corrupted into yearn in modern editions of Shakespeare.]
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Obsolete forms of earn.
- Obsolete forms of earn.
- Same as earn.
- n. See earn.
- n. A retired place or habitation: chiefly in composition. See etymology.
- n. A termination of Latin origin, occurring in nouns, as in cavern, cistern, lantern, tavern, etc., also in adjectives, as modern, but in adjective use generally extended with -al, as in eternal, fraternal, maternal, paternal, external, internal, infernal, supernal, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bulky greyish-brown eagle with a short wedge-shaped white tail; of Europe and Greenland
"I reckon it'll be a stuffed fox your chil'ern 'll hunt, Mr. Steeve; more straw in 'em than bow'ls."
Parker-Pope of The Times — are easily grown in a northeast - ern garden, including beets, chard, pumpkins and blueberries.
Anonsters says: ern: The legal questions are not difficult.
The J-20 was until recently so secret that it did not have an official name and was known as the J-XX among West ern defense and intelligence officials and experts.
To build bridges between Western and East ern ways of thinking, it is necessary that we define culture in new ways.
Foreign companies have been considering exit strategies, scaling back or not investing in the south ern African country renowned for its mineral riches, fertile farmland and educated workforce.
IMO you are also describing the transition of the West (ern civilization) from an expanding culture of risk-takers, explorers and innovators to a place where sheep graze (safely – until the formerly subdued predators revive).
This isn't something he's looking forward to, not because he dislikes schoolhe is in fact an eager studentbut because he doesn't get along with his stepfather, a South? ern Pacific supervisor named Rudy Hollister.
Whatever their imaginative space, most of them have actually lived or even grown up and been educated in the West or Western-oriented environments.
Thoroughly Mod (ern) Mila won over the judges in an upset that sent her nemesis, the pocket-sized Jay, to pack up his scarves and go home, and the final three -- Mila, resident egotist Emilio, and savant spaz Seth Aaron -- readied themselves for Bryant Park.