from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The unit of capacitance in the meter-kilogram-second system equal to the capacitance of a capacitor having an equal and opposite charge of 1 coulomb on each plate and a potential difference of 1 volt between the plates. See Table at measurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In the International System of Units, the derived unit of electrical capacitance; the capacitance of a capacitor in which one coulomb of charge causes a potential difference of one volt across the capacitor. Symbol: F
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The standard unit of electrical capacity; the capacity of a condenser whose charge, having an electro-motive force of one volt, is equal to the amount of electricity which, with the same electromotive force, passes through one ohm in one second; the capacity, which, charged with one coulomb, gives an electro-motive force of one volt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The electromagnetic unit of capacity of electricity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the capacitance of a capacitor that has an equal and opposite charge of 1 coulomb on each plate and a voltage difference of 1 volt between the plates
Much is riding on the outcome: the joule, watt, volt, farad, weber and ohm are only some of the units derived in part from the kilo.
Since the unit 1 F (farad) is very great, the capacity of the capacitors manufactured only reaches fractions of 1 F.
The unit of electrostatic capacity is the _farad_.
The unit of capacity of an insulated conductor is the _farad_, and a given insulated conductor is said to have unit capacity, that is, the capacity of one farad, when it will receive a charge of one coulomb of electricity at a potential of one volt.
CAPACITY -- K. -- The farad is that capacity of a body, say a Leyden jar or condenser, which a coulomb of electricity will charge to the potential of a volt.
The Company has prepared and tested several prototypes, mostly under a grant from the State of Wisconsin, with the goal of filling this need -- some prototypes are as low as a couple of farads while others are in the hundreds of farad ranges.
Additionally, the Company is assembling larger units in the several thousands of farad ranges.
Three in 0 Gauge - Stinger/Tsumani (1) MCR 200 amp H/O Alternator (2) Power Acoustik PCX 5 farad Capacitors Are you a big huge fan of ear blowing, eye popping, car alarm triggering, windsheild breaking bass?
Mid Range (2) Polk DB 6x9's - Mid Range Big Three in 0 Gauge - Stinger/Tsumani (1) MCR 200 amp H/O Alternator (2) Power Acoustik PCX 5 farad Capacitors Are you a big huge fan of ear blowing, eye popping, car alarm triggering, windsheild breaking bass?
You can pick up a 2 farad, 20 volt capacitor for about $30, they sell them for car audio power boosts.