from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An officer in some European armies, usually ranking just below the commander in chief.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In certain nations the highest military rank, ranking below only the commander in chief; now essentially disused.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the highest military rank conferred in the British and other European armies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An officer of the highest military rank in the British, German, and some other European armies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an officer holding the highest rank in the army
From field + marshal, after German Feldmarschall or its source, Middle French maréchal de camp. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.