from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stylized representation of the leaf of a fig, used especially to conceal genitals depicted in works of art.
- n. Something that serves as a usually insufficient concealment or camouflage: "Many fallen executives are still allowed the fig leaf of 'resignation'” ( David Pauly).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A leaf of the fig plant.
- n. A representation of leaf of a fig plant used to cover the genitals of a nude figure in a work of art (alluding to Genesis iii 7, in which Adam and Eve use fig leaves to hide their nakedness).
- n. Anything used to conceal something undesirable or that one does not want to be discovered.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the leaf tree; hence, in allusion to the first clothing of Adam and Eve (Genesis iii.7), a covering for a thing that ought to be concealed; esp., an inadequate covering; a symbol for affected modesty.
- The leaf from a fig tree.
- An ornamental design shaped like the leaf of a fig tree, used in architecture; also, a design shaped like a fig leaf to cover genitalia in sculpture or paintings -- in reference to the biblical story in Genesis of Adam and Eve, who covered their privates with fig leaves.
- Anything used to conceal what is considered embarrassing or indecent. See sense 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The leaf of a fig-tree; figuratively, a thin or partial covering, in allusion to the first covering of Adam and Eve; a makeshift.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a covering consisting of anything intended to conceal something regarded as shameful
- n. a leaf from a fig tree
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Interestingly, this is also the first ep to feature no overtly supernatural elements, although Lord Raptor is given a line or two about devil worship, no doubt to provide the episode a fig leaf of diabolism.
Of course, the General Assembly itself still had to act, and the EU-led negotiations to find some kind of fig leaf that would provide the illusion of reform roared on.
Eve had her tongue in Adam's ear and though the expression on his face was one of stuporous boredom, his fig leaf bulged appreciatively.