from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A portable apparatus containing chemicals that can be discharged in a rapid stream to extinguish a small fire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device that can be used to put out a fire. Usually a cylinder filled with carbon dioxide, dry powder or water, in the latter two cases with some means of pressurising the cylinder to expel the contents.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a portable device designed to deliver chemicals, usually in a stream, that can suppress or extinguish a fire. Examples of fire extinghuishers are a carbon dioxide extinguisher, or CO2 extinguisher, and soda-acid extinguisher.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An apparatus designed for immediate and temporary use in putting out a conflagration by means of a small stream of water or of water mingled with carbonic-acid gas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a manually operated device for extinguishing small fires
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He and Jeremy here "-- he nodded at a man sitting across the table from him --" had taken the fire extinguisher from the bunkhouse and tried to get close to Major Halliwell's hut. "
The walls bore blueprint diagrams, ghostly X-ray negatives, a portrait of the Virgin of Guadalupe, a prized picture of Hedy Lamarr in the nude and, every twenty feet, a fire extinguisher and a bucket of sand.
Lucien heard a fire extinguisher whoosh, adding a chemical stink to the smoke as the former SB agent tackled the more stubborn blazes, but as far as Lucien could see, the sprinklers were dousing the fire—on all floors.
David Francis of the SDFD told us that RVers should purchase a fire extinguisher rated 20 BC, as it can best put out the kind of fires RVs experience.
Because it was Sunday they were having trouble getting the final items for the repairs — a fire extinguisher cartridge and something called the annular.
Buster Wright is the individual that hit one of the gunmen over the head with a fire extinguisher and held him until we arrived.