from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A commissioned rank in the U.S. Army, Air Force, and Marines that is above second lieutenant and below captain.
- n. One who holds this rank.
- n. A lieutenant in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard, responsible for maintaining the ship's exterior and for management of the ship's deck.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The second lowest rank of a commissioned officer in the United States Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps, ranking above a second lieutenant and below a captain. The rank of first lieutenant is equivalent to the naval rank of lieutenant junior grade.
- n. An equivalent rank in other military forces.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a commissioned officer in the Army or Air Force or Marines ranking above a 2nd lieutenant and below a captain
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.