from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun rail transport, historical An early type of railway that used flanged rails rather than flanged wheels.
  • noun rail transport The gap in road surfaces, running rails at rails at junctions, etc, that allows the wheel flange of a rail vehicle to pass.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word flangeway.


  • Soon the coroner, Michael Baker QC, will be helping the jury understand the "flangeway gap", which is what a train needs at junctions if its direction isn't to be fatally confused.

    Piecing together the story of Potters Bar 2010

  • A bit of background for you, the flangeway gaps on the crossing are around 4 inches wide, his caster wheel is anywhere between 3 to 8 inches.

    Wheelchair user killed when hit by train BA Haller 2008

  • If he wasn't going fast enough (uphill at age 69) his caster would’ve more likely fallen into the flangeway and he would’ve been stuck regardless of whether the crossing was working or not.

    Wheelchair user killed when hit by train BA Haller 2008


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.