from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A literary or cinematic device in which the chronological sequence of events is interrupted by the interjection of a future event.
  • noun The episode or scene depicted by means of this device.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a transition (in literary or theatrical works or films) to a later event or scene that interrupts the normal chronological development of the story


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word flash-forward.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.