from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small or reduced flower, especially one of the grasses and composite plants, such as a daisy.
- n. Any of the tight, branched clusters of flower buds that together form a head of cauliflower or broccoli.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small flower, especially one of a cluster in a composite flower
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A little flower; one of the numerous little flowers which compose the head or anthodium in such flowers as the daisy, thistle, and dandelion.
- n. A foil; a blunt sword used in fencing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small flower in a cluster or in a compact inflorescence, as in the so-called compound flower of the Compositæ, or in the spikelet of grasses.
- n. A fencing-sword with a button on the point; a foil.
- n. In silk-manuf., a yarn or floss spun from the first and purest of the waste, and of higher quality than the noil yarn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a diminutive flower (especially one that is part of a composite flower)
We can gain a grasp of this wonder of structure from a seed of groundsel or a sparrow's feather picked up in the street; for a spray of plumy meadowsweet or one dandelion floret is a poem in itself, and the sand particle is complex, curiously fashioned and polished.
The outermost part is a tough scab-like purple scale, but within is a tumid floret of a highly complex design.
Raise the heat to high, pour in the wine and cook 1 minute, then reduce the heat to simmer, cover the pan and cook until a knife is easily inserted into the stem end of a floret.
Remove the floret of the broccoli and used only the stalk part, peal the outer part and slice thin.
However, when you stop eating ketchup with your eggs and start serving an occasional egg (or cauliflower floret) beside your pool of ketchup, it becomes more of a problem.
Think of how a broccoli floret has the same shape and form as an entire head of broccoli.
As Data ate a broccoli floret, he watched Lal deftly spin a fork through her spaghetti.
I finished one floret right after it came out of the oven.
Broccolini are a cross between regular broccoli and Chinese broccoli - it is known for its long, sweet stem that is topped with a small floret.
It cooks on the top of the stove, uses precooked cold diced potatoes and takes the cauliflower from scratch I use a finer floret than Ms Jaffrey suggests.