from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun One who writes glosses or compiles glossaries.
  • noun A philologist; one versed in or engaged in the study of glossology. Also glottologist.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who defines and explains terms; one who is versed in glossology.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun One who defines and explains terms; one versed in glossology.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word glossologist.


  • But the eventual success of linguist over glossologist would not have been easily predicted by one scanning the OED, for the only sense current for linguist was ` one who is skilled in the use of language, master of other tongues besides his own, 'the sense in which Shakespeare used it at the end of the 16th century.

    VERBATIM: The Language Quarterly Vol X No 4 1984


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.