from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Permission to proceed: waiting for the go-ahead from the control tower.
- n. Energetic assertiveness.
- adj. Characterized by energy and assertiveness: a go-ahead marketing strategy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Approval, agreement, or instruction to begin or proceed.
- adj. A score which gives the scoring team or player the lead in the game.
- adj. Progressive; exerting leadership.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Energetic; pushing; active; driving. See ahead, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. readiness to embark on bold new ventures
- n. a signal to proceed
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Carter gave me the go-ahead, and this time I had the support of both Vance and Brzezinski.
Although Washington insisted it had warned Saakashvili against aggression, Russians found it hard to believe that Bush had not secretly given the go-ahead.
Though Brin and Page had yet to give an explicit go-ahead, it was clear that they were quietly rooting the effort on.
LA has not had a American football team for 16 years, and with such financial determination, if the stadium is given the go-ahead, it seems almost certain the city will be returning to the NFL in the near future.
Kristen tried to ride out the wave of negativity by making herself as inconspicuous as possible, but since she had little to do at that time—she was waiting for her record label to give her the go-ahead to start recording—she spent hours playing video games in the living room with Lizzy.
The Guardian: Brown gives go-ahead for full-body scanners at Britain's airports
Full-body scanners are to be introduced at Britain's airports after Gordon Brown gave the go-ahead for the technology in a move which pre-empted his own urgent review of airline security.
Cousins was safe for the go-ahead run, and Florida won 7-6.
"We're waiting for when GSPC [Gujarat State Petroleum Corp.] will give us the go-ahead [to begin construction]," he said.
The vice-president said that while he was counselling hesitation, Obama gave the go-ahead for the raid that killed the al-Qaida leader.