from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun One that grates, as an implement with sharp-edged slits and perforations on which to grate foods.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun One who or that which grates.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • adjective One who, or that which, grates; especially, an instrument or utensil with a rough, indented surface, for rubbing off small particles of any substance.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A tool with which one grates, especially cheese, to facilitate getting small particles or shreds off a solid lump.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun utensil with sharp perforations for shredding foods (as vegetables or cheese)


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From grate + -er.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word grater.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.