from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A half of a sphere bounded by a great circle.
- n. A half of a symmetrical, approximately spherical object as divided by a plane of symmetry.
- n. Either half of the celestial sphere as divided by the ecliptic, the celestial equator, or the horizon.
- n. Either the northern or southern half of the earth as divided by the equator or the eastern or western half as divided by a meridian.
- n. Anatomy Either of the lateral halves of the cerebrum; a cerebral hemisphere.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A half sphere; one half of a sphere or globe, when divided by a plane passing through its center.
- n. Half of the terrestrial globe, or a projection of the same in a map or picture.
- n. The people who inhabit a hemisphere.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A half-sphere; one half of a sphere or globe formed by a plane passing through the center. Specifically
- n. Half of the terrestrial globe; also, half of the celestial globe, or of the surface of the heavens.
- n. A map or projection of half of the terrestrial or the celestial sphere.
- n. In anatomy, either of the two large convex and convoluted masses, one on each side, which together with the fornix, corpus callosum, thalamencephalon, mesencephalon, and olfactory lobes make up the cerebrum. See brain, cerebrum, and cerebral.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. either half of the cerebrum
- n. half of the terrestrial globe
- n. half of a sphere
Frequently somebody coming to this hemisphere is accused of being a propagandist.
You know, the only reason that Beck and Limballs could see some kind of division based on the President responding to a natural disaster in our hemisphere is because they see the victims of that disaster as black people.
At a larger scale, the left hemisphere is somewhat specialized for positive experiences while the right hemisphere is more focused on negative ones (this makes sense since the right hemisphere is specialized for gestalt, visual-spatial processing, so it's advantaged for tracking threats coming from the surrounding environment).
I have been slowly and kind of successfully getting up earlier – which I have to admit in the southern hemisphere is much easier given its warm and get lighter much earlier.
Radiation reflected in the southern hemisphere is just as reflected as anywhere else in the globe.
I published a book on brain hemisphere specialization thats still in print, called A Yin for Change.
If the latest governmental data states that sea ice in the southern hemisphere is at an all time high, and human-induced CO2 emissions are
The largest recipient of U.S. military and other aid in the Western hemisphere is Colombia.
Each hemisphere is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
The left hemisphere is not aware of what the right hemisphere is thinking, and vice-versa.