from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun The univalent anionic group HS, or a chemical compound derived from hydrogen sulfide by replacement of one of the hydrogen atoms with a cationic metal or group.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun chemistry any compound formally derived from hydrogen sulfide by replacing one hydrogen atom with a metal or other radical; a thiol or mercaptan
  • noun chemistry the HS- anion


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word hydrosulfide.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.