from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act of illegitimating, or the state of being illegitimate.
- noun Bastardy; declaration of illegitimacy.
- noun Want of genuineness; spuriousness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of illegitimating; bastardizing.
- noun obsolete The state of being illegitimate; illegitimacy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun obsolete The act of making
- noun obsolete The state of being illegitimate;
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is proper however to observe, that illegitimation caused by the dissolution of such marriages, in conformity with the complicated rules of the Canon Law, was not considered to entail disgrace on the children, nor did it always interrupt the succession either in regard to titles or property.
The Works of John Knox, Vol. 1 (of 6) John Knox
But its illegitimation does not seem to have greatly circumscribed its activity.