from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In an artificial environment outside the living organism: an egg fertilized in vitro; in vitro fertilization.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. In an artificial environment outside the living organism.
- adv. In an artificial environment outside the living organism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Within glass, that is, a test-tube: said of chemical reactions, bacterial cultures, etc., obtained experimentally in the test-tube as contrasted with those occurring in vivo, that is, within the living body.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in an artificial environment outside the living organism
- adj. in an artificial environment outside the living organism
We're pacing an in vitro hepatoblastoma as it approaches pulmonary tissue.
Correlation of two-hybrid affinity data with in vitro measurements.
This high-tech but increasingly widespread practice has added a new twist to in vitro fertilization.
Fetal development identical to that observed in utero is obtained in vitro through four days post-fertilization with human egg and sperm, and with other vertebrates for much larger fractions of total gestation.
Frequency of drug resistance in Plasmodium falciparum: a nonsynergistic combination of 5-fluoroorotate and atovaquone suppresses in vitro resistance.
An emergency C-section and subsequent transfusion had saved her life, but the scrawny baby had been in distress in vitro and had been fussy and colicky for the ï¬rst year of his life.
Diamond, Ethanol regulation of adenosine receptor-stimulated cAMP levels in a clonal neural cell line: an in vitro model of cellular tolerance to ethanol, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 83 1986: 2105-8.
Herz, Effects of chronic ethanol treatment on the in vitro biosynthesis of pro-opiomelanocortin and its posttranslational processing of beta-endorphin in the intermediate lobe of the rat pituitary, Journal of Neurochemistry 43 1984: 607-13.
Intracytoplasmic injection, or ICI, is an extension of current in vitro fertilization techniques.