from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang The control stick of an aircraft.
- n. Slang A manual control or cursor device, as one attached to a computer or video game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mechanical device consisting of a handgrip mounted on a base or pedestal and typically having one or more buttons, used to control an aircraft, computer or other equipment.
- n. A penis.
- v. To manoeuvre by means of a joystick.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a lever used by a pilot to control the ailerons and elevators of an airplane
- n. a manual control consisting of a vertical handle that can move freely in two directions; used as an input device to computers or to devices controlled by computers
It's not surprising that Mr. Bush doesn't use e-mail -- any computer without a joystick is above his clock-speed (not to mention the fact that he spent an hour looking around on the keyboard for the "Any" key when the software said, "Hit Any Key to Continue ...")
There are add-ons, like a built-in dictionary, but navigating the menus with the tiny joystick is frustrating and slow.
What the hell is with Uhura's desk-lamp and twin joystick podium?
Innate human need. joystick is a phallic symbol. perhaps some lube involved. get it.
The, er, joystick is placed quite strategically, which I honestly didn't notice until after I had it on ...
The control disc: Before the Intellivision, the joystick was the de facto input mechanism.
Meanwhile, reading the otherwise excellent Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System, I hit this sentence: "The player controls the plane with a joystick, which is seen from the side."
I think he's a plumber... thus I assume the potatoes are actually a case of "plumber butt," and the joystick is a plunger!
Most electric wheelchairs are operated by a joystick, which is much easier to use than a manual wheelchair.
You move by holding down the large button on the top of the controller and tilting the wand like it was a joystick, which is far from intuitive.