from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Preoccupied with sex and sexual desire; lustful.
- adj. Obscene; indecent.
- adj. Obsolete Wicked.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Lascivious, sexually promiscuous, rude.
- adj. Lay; not clerical.
- adj. Uneducated.
- adj. Vulgar, common; typical of the lower orders.
- adj. Base, vile, reprehensible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not clerical; laic; laical; hence, unlearned; simple.
- adj. Belonging to the lower classes, or the rabble; idle and lawless; bad; vicious.
- adj. Given to the promiscuous indulgence of lust; dissolute; lustful; libidinous.
- adj. Suiting, or proceeding from, lustfulness; involving unlawful sexual desire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Ignorant; unlearned; illiterate.
- Lay, as opposed to clerical.
- Rude; homely; uncultivated.
- Worthless; useless.
- Bad; vile; vicious; wicked.
- Lustful; wanton; lascivious; libidinous.
- Synonyms See list under lascivious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. driven by lust; preoccupied with or exhibiting lustful desires
- adj. suggestive of or tending to moral looseness
The word lewd has appeared in 109 New York Times articles in the past year, including on July 29 in "Faces Still Alive, Centuries Later," by Roberta Smith:
"Though it should be noted that neither of those votes is directly at odds with engaging in lewd conduct in a public men's rest room."
Though it should be noted that neither of those votes is directly at odds with engaging in lewd conduct in a public men's rest room.
Craig then entered the stall next to Karsniaâs and placed his roller bag against the front of the stall door. âMy experience has shown that individuals engaging in lewd conduct use their bags to block the view from the front of their stall, â Karsnia stated in his report. âFrom my seated position, I could observe the shoes and ankles of Craig seated to the left of me. â
I recognized this as a signal used by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct.
Ever notice how many of the female rock and pop stars, even though they are dressed in lewd neo-corsets and other underwear and skimpy things, still manage NOT to look sexy?
Although exonerated as not guilty by the law, the scandal of a teacher with a student destroyed her reputation as she is hung as a femme fatale by the public especially condemning her are the altered pictures on the Internet that showed them together in lewd poses.
"I recognized this as a signal used by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct," Roll Call wrote, quoting the investigator in the police incident report.
Then he died and certain lewd fellows of the Children of Israel heard of the charge he had laid on his son and began coming to the latter and saying, “Thy father had such and such monies of mine, and thou knowest it; so give me what was entrusted to him or else make oath that there was no trust.”
So, if this woman would not consent to replace her dead husband with a Sultan, how shall she be compared with one who replaced her husband, whilst he was yet alive, with a youth of unknown extraction and condition, and especially when this was in lewd carriage and not by way of lawful marriage?