from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A commissioned rank in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard that is above ensign and below lieutenant.
- n. One who holds this rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A commissioned officer of the United States Navy whose rank is above an ensign's and below a lieutenant, or a corresponding rank in other navies.
- n. A commissioned officer in the United States Coast Guard, Public Health Service, or National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration whose rank is above an ensign and below a lieutenant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an officer holding a commissioned rank in the United States Navy or United States Coast Guard; below lieutenant and above ensign
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.