from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A plow equipped with a double moldboard that turns up the soil on each side of the furrow, often having an attached drill for seed planting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A spear armed with three or more prongs, for striking fish.
- n. One who, or that which, lists or produces a listing; a person or organisation that creates or maintains lists.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who makes a list or roll.
- n. Same as leister.
- n. A double-moldboard plow which throws a deep furrow, and at the same time plants and covers grain in the bottom of the furrow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In agriculture, an implement, of the nature of a plow, by which open furrows at proper distances from each other are formed, in the bottoms of which maize or other grain is planted by a drill.
- n. One who makes a list or roll; specifically, in some parts of the United States, an appraiser for the purpose of taxation; an officer whose duty it is to make lists of taxable property.
- n. A reader.
- n. A preaching friar; a lector.
- n. See leister.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English surgeon who was the first to use antiseptics (1827-1912)
- n. moldboard plow with a double moldboard designed to move dirt to either side of a central furrow
- n. assessor who makes out the tax lists
I am not sure what makes an A-lister, is it about the of posts per day, the number of comments, or the number of views.
A top "lister" may go to more than 50 countries over a lifetime of birding, notching 8,000-plus species out of the roughly 10,000 on earth.
I like the rhythm of finding recipes, making a grocery list, doing the shopping the stepkid likes to be the "lister," i.e., the person who crosses things off the list, making the food, knowing it's there in the freezer.
Claremorris, I tried to see a "lister," that is, a landowner and agent on the "black list."
We are here to make sure their address is correct so that they can get counted in the census when it comes out next year, "said Tom Boone, a retired firefighter who is working as a" lister "in the central part of Billings.
When one A-list actress works with a fellow A-lister in a film, they can light up the screen.
As a mid-lister, I make my living by writing at least two mass-market books per year, and supplementing that income with small press work, primarily targeted at the collectible market.
Is it professionally acceptable for a mid-lister, with a proven customer base that purchases anything he/she writes, to dabble with self-publishing?
Amazingly, even though he is the A-lister's A-lister for professional bassists in the jazz world, there are still a number of fans of the genre that still don't loft him up there with top players on other instruments, like Marsalis and Corea.
Also, an unexpected and awesomely pleasant surprise, I'm sharing a ToC with your favorite blue-haired f-lister and mine, the wonderful and talented, camillealexa!