from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A white crystalline sugar, C12H22O11, formed during the digestion of starch. Also called malt sugar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A disaccharide, C12H22O11 formed from the digestion of starch by amylase; is converted to glucose by maltase.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A crystalline disaccharide (C12H22O11) formed from starch by the action of diastase of malt, and the amylolytic ferment of saliva and pancreatic juice; called also maltobiose and malt sugar. Chemically it is 4-O-α-D-glucopyranosyl-D-glucose. It rotates the plane of polarized light further to the right than does dextrose and possesses a lower cupric oxide reducing power.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sugar (C12H22O1l + H2O) which forms hard white crystals, is directly fermented by yeast, and is closely like dextrose in its properties. It is produced from starch paste by the action of malt or diastase.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a white crystalline sugar formed during the digestion of starches
The starch is first converted into a sugar known as maltose, by the action of _malt_, a substance prepared by moistening barley with water, allowing it to germinate, and then drying it.
Sure enough, when the researchers inhibited GlgE, the bacteria underwent "suicidal self-poisoning": a sugar called maltose 1-phosphate accumulated to toxic levels that damaged bacterial DNA, causing the death of TB bacteria grown in Petri dishes as well as in infected mice.
In some cases, Cutler says, people could even be sensitive to other sugars such as maltose in grains, sucrose or dextrose in fruits.
Brown rice syrup has maltose which is easily broken down int
As for the cervesa, hound dog, being diabetico I must quaff a vino blanco or anejo on purified rocks: the maltose wreaks havoc with my blood sugar.
Shakespeare doubtless knew his roses, but let's face it, in a world without HFCS, invert sugar, dextrose, maltose or agave nectar, he was a novice regarding sweet stuff.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the maltose.
I got the maltose at my local Asian grocery, use honey or leave it out if you can't find it or don't want to buy another ingredient!
The four proteins that bound and eluted to the greatest extent were expressed in Escherichia coli as C-terminal fusion proteins of maltose binding protein (MBP), as the solubilities of the free proteins were too low to permit full characterization.
Anheuser-Busch taking aim at the creator of the South Beach Diet over claims that maltose in beer causes beer bellies.