from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A nipple or teat.
- n. A nipple-shaped protuberance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The nipple.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The nipple.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The nipple of the mammary gland.
- n. Some nipple-like or mammillary structure.
- n. In entomology, a small conical process or appendage on a surface; a mammula.
- n. [capitalized] In conchology, a genus of gastropods.
- n. In botany, applied specifically
- n. to tubercles on a plant-surface, as in Mamillaria
- n. to the apex of the nucleus of an ovule
- n. to granular prominences on some pollen-grains.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the small projection of a mammary gland
Thus is formed the prominent female breast (mamma), on the top of which rises the teat or nipple (mammilla).
Habet autem ftellasy i | i dextra manu quatuor, quae non occidunt: in capite claram vnam, in ftngulis humeris iingulas, in fingulis mammiliis ciaras iingulas, in dextra parte corporis fub mammilla obfcuram vnam, in dextro cubito claram vnam, inter vtraque genua claram vnam et; magnam, quae eft Arfturus: jn fingulis pedibus iingulas.
We must, indeed, in my opinion, separate them entirely from one another; and I would venture to propose for the group comprised in the old genus Podura, the term Collembola, as indicating the existence of a projection, or mammilla, enabling the creature to attach or glue itself to the body on which it stands. "