from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A short cape.
  • noun A mobile screen or shield formerly used to protect besieging soldiers.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A short cloak or mantle.
  • noun A woman's garment, narrower than the mantle, and approaching the form of a tippet or broad scarf, worn over the shoulders.
  • noun Same as cointoise. See also lambrequin, 1 .
  • noun In gunnery, a shield to protect men serving guns in embrasures, casemates, or portholes from the bullets of sharpshooters.
  • noun A movable roof or screen used in sieges, etc., to protect the besiegers in their attacks. See cat-castle, vinea, sow, 4.
  • noun A movable shelter used in a hunting-field.
  • noun A flexible covering, usually of rope, drawn close round a gun when it is discharged.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A short cloak formerly worn by knights.
  • noun A short cloak or mantle worn by women.
  • noun (Fort.) A musket-proof shield of rope, wood, or metal, which is sometimes used for the protection of sappers or riflemen while attacking a fortress, or of gunners at embrasures; -- now commonly written mantlet.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Alternative form of mantlet.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun short cape worn by women
  • noun portable bulletproof shelter


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Middle English, from Old French, diminutive of mantel, mantle; see mantle.]


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word mantelet.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.