from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Material, such as wood or ivory, inlaid piece by piece into a wood surface in an intricate design and veneered to another surface, especially of furniture, for decoration.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A decorative technique in which veneers of wood, ivory, metal etc. are inlaid into a wood surface to form intricate designs.
  • n. An example of this work

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An inlay of some thin material in the surface of a piece of furniture or other object.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. inlaid veneers are fitted together to form a design or picture that is then used to ornament furniture


French marqueterie, from Old French, from marqueter, to checker, from marque, mark, ultimately from Old Norse merki, mark.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French marqueterie. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.