from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A card or ticket entitling the holder to a meal or meals.
- noun Informal A person or thing depended on as a source of financial support.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
ticketor voucherthat can be exchangedfor food.
- noun idiomatic Someone or something that
provides incomeor livelihood, especially as an exploitedsource.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a source of income or livelihood
- noun coupon redeemable at a restaurant and entitling the holder to a meal
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word meal ticket.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.