from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several furry, short-limbed, tailless burrowing rodents of the genus Spalax, found in eastern Europe and the Middle East.
- n. Any of various similar molelike rodents of the family Bathyergidae and especially of the genus Bathyergus, found from South Africa to Kenya.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several small rodents in taxonomic families Bathyergidae and Spalacidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of several species of Old World rodents of the genera Spalax, Georychus, and several allied genera. They are molelike in appearance and habits, and their eyes are small or rudimentary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A myomorphic rodent quadruped of the family Spalacidæ (which see for technical characters): so called from its resemblance to a mole in appearance and habits.
- n. A fossorial murine rodent of the family Muridæ and subfamily Siphneinæ.
- n. The Australian duck-mole or duck-billed platypus, Ornithorhynchus paradoxus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. African rodent resembling a mole in habits and appearance
- n. furry short-limbed tailless rodent resembling a true mole in habits and appearance; of eastern Europe and Middle East
- n. burrowing scaly-tailed rat of India and Ceylon
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.