from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A planet, especially Venus, visible in the east just before or at sunrise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The planet Venus as observed in the eastern sky around dawn.
- n. The planet Mercury as observed in the eastern sky around dawn.
- n. A weapon consisting of a heavy ball set with spikes attached rigidly to a staff, in contrast to a flail.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. A weapon consisting of a heavy ball set with spikes, either attached to a staff or suspended from one by a chain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See star.
- n. A weapon consisting of a ball of metal, usually set with spikes, either mounted upon a long handle or staff, usually of wood and used with both hands, or slung to the staff by a thong or chain. Also called holy-water sprinkler. Compare warflail.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a planet (usually Venus) seen just before sunrise in the eastern sky
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.