from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any wormlike insect larva, as of certain beetles, that lives and grows in manure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A larva living in mud or manure.
- n. Someone who gathers wealth through overwork of employees and sordid means; a miser.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A larva or grub that lives in muck or manure; -- applied to the larvæ of the tumbledung and allied beetles.
- n. One who scrapes together money by mean labor and devices; a miser.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A worm that lives in muck.
- n. A miser; one who scrapes together money by mean devices.
The levellers, whose muckworm minds, and love of the arts is only shown in that of money-getting -- maintained that the demolition of the
"In that he lied like the muckworm that he is," I exclaimed.
"You're a foul thing -- a muckworm -- Sir Rowland," added Trenchard amiably, "and you've been discourteous to a lady, for which may Heaven forgive you -- I can't."
Armed with a bodkin and a barker he rushes and tushes his way through life, slitting weasands and dubbing every cully he meets a muckworm in the pleasant idiom current (so I take it on faith) in the time of our second JAMES.
But alas, the stir, the scramble, the mad whirl of city life, the debasing contact with low material minds, the daily study of Prices Current, make even of me a muckworm.
The fisherman, meanwhile, stands in three feet of water, under the same summer's sun, arbitrating in other cases between muckworm and shiner, amid the fragrance of water-lilies, mint, and pontederia, leading his life many rods from the dry land, within a pole's length of where the larger fishes swim.
If my conjectures are right, the threats of the old muckworm father have shaken the crazy nerves of the baronet; and I half suspect there is something more of meaning at the bottom of this.
Federalist muckworm, poxy Democrat, and drop that forge bar.