from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Decorative needlework on canvas, usually in a diagonal stitch covering the entire surface of the material.
- n. A type of lace worked on paper patterns with a needle. Also called point lace.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A craft involving pulling yarn, thread, or floss through a canvas mesh to produce a decorative design.
- n. An object made using the craft.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lace worked with a needle in a buttonhole stitch on a paper pattern
- n. embroidery consisting of allover embroidered canvas resembling tapestry
Artisans purchase the guanengo - a white cotton blouse - and adorn them with flowers in needlepoint (also called punto de cruz or cross stitch) around the neckline.
The many faces of the saint that also appear in needlepoint and wood, say much about the nature of iconography, identity and faith.
Personal-finance gurus such as Dave Ramsey and Suze Orman rarely interrogate callers about how many parties they give, how often they fly home, or whether their needlepoint is taking up too much disposable income.
At least, she had called her needlepoint a humbug, which amounted to the same thing, as the stitchery could have done nothing to offend her.
The process is a kind of needlepoint on fabric linen, in most cases with a superfine thread and, according to her, a “tiny tiny needle.”
For needlepoint which is what I mostly do these days I make a simple line drawing at the scale I want the piece to be and then trace it onto the scrim.
Cleaver, the Leave It to Beaver mom, epitomized the 1950s stay-at-home mom, quietly serving her husband and children, with hobbies of needlepoint and arranging tea roses.
In recent weeks, one darling friend embroidered a beautiful needlepoint heart for me; another knitted a gorgeous shawl for me; still others took me to hear the Berliner Philharmoniker!
To recover, Mia flees to her tiny childhood hometown in Minnesota to teach poetry to a group of girls and spend time with her mother and the wise, crook-backed women in her mother's retirement community one of whom charms Mia with a secret stash of erotic needlepoint.
Take sewing, knitting, needlepoint or crochet projects.