from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A quantity or portion of something lacking after delivery or storage.
- n. A temporary suspension of operation, especially of electric power.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A temporary suspension of operation, especially of electrical power supply
- n. The amount of something lost in storage or transportation
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In electricity, the failure of an arc-lamp, in a series arc-circuit, to start when current is sent into the circuit.
- n. A charge made by the State of Maryland for the labor of handling tobacco inspected for export.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a temporary suspension of operation (as of computers)
- n. the amount of something (as whiskey or oil) lost in storage or transportation
Keepign servers up during a two+ hour outage is another.
Site down eh … look fopward to the changes – any idea how long the outage is going to be?
I guarantee you that the SRO and the plant management and the NRC and the BPA think a fire that causes an outage is both harm and foul.
If one has their Blackberry blessed, and soon thereafter curses it due to a service outage, is the blessing still valid?
Collateral effects of a longer-term outage [such as would almost certainly result from a massive space weather event] would likely include, for example, disruption of the transportation, communication, banking, and finance systems, and government services; the breakdown of the distribution of potable water owing to pump failure and the loss of perishable foods and medications because of lack of refrigeration.
I know this outage is probably bugging you even more than it is all of us, so I just want to tell you what a great web site you have.
After dinner we went to the library in case we still had no power (when you live in the country the absolute pitch black of a nighttime power outage is a little disconcerting with small, squirrely, active children) and then came home to lights and Cheerio Chocolate Chip Cookies.
With about two-thirds of the season complete, it's a good time to look at the overall numbers to see if the outage is just a one-year blip or perhaps the beginning of a trend.
If the estimated loss to the business of a 4 (or 8) hour outage is greater than three times that figure: Go for a cluster of servers.
This outage is giving me ideas for a low-tech decentralized way to do Twitter with RSS and software running on the desktop.