from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun An outer coat of glaze on a piece of pottery.
  • noun A painted or printed decoration applied over a glaze.
  • transitive verb To apply an overglaze to.
  • adjective Applied or designed for applying over a ceramic glaze.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In ceramics, a second glaze applied to a piece of porcelain of which the first glaze is deeply colored or crackled, or covered with paintings in enamel.
  • In ceramics, used for painting upon the glaze: said of a vitrifiable pigment: as, an overglaze color.
  • To glaze over; cover with superficial brilliancy; hide (an inferior material) with something more showy.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • adjective Applied over the glaze; -- said of enamel paintings, which sometimes are seen to project from the surface of the ware.
  • adjective Suitable for applying upon the glaze; -- said of vitrifiable colors used in ceramic decoration.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun The outer layer or coat of glaze on a piece of pottery
  • noun A decoration, usually enamel, applied over a glaze.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word overglaze.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.