from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To overcome or vanquish by superior force; subdue.
- transitive v. To affect so strongly as to make helpless or ineffective; overwhelm.
- transitive v. To supply with excessive mechanical power.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To subdue someone by superior force.
- v. To render imperceptible by means of greater strength, intensity etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dominating power.
- transitive v. To excel or exceed in power; to cause to yield by superior power; to vanquish; to subdue.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To vanquish by superior power or force; subdue; reduce to silence, inaction, or submission; defeat.
- To be too intense or violent for: overcome by intensity; overwhelm: as, his emotions overpowered him.
- Synonyms Beat, Overwhelm, etc. (see defeat), overbear, master, crush.
- n. Too great a power; extensive power.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. overcome by superior force
- v. overcome, as with emotions or perceptual stimuli
Beers like weisse beers (wheat beers), typically use other methods to 'overpower' the cold suppressing effects and can be consumed cold (the yeasts that these beers use provide a fruitiness that overpowers the cold).
It's starting to dawn on some people that natural systems like La Nina can 'overpower' so-called 'man-made' global warming...
Pat Hynse certainly is aggressive when he wants to do the "overpower" bit - almost a bully, truth be told.
The taliban terrorist scum were able to "overpower" the security guards and disarm them.
However, I don’t really like the crisp texture of fresh jalapeños, and pickled ones kind of overpower the taste of a lot of the tunas.
Maybe there is some truth to internal polls by Democrat Chet Culver suggesting a tightening in the governor race, or maybe Republicans will overpower the Democratic early voting lead on Election Day.
The orange juice did not overpower the mango flavor, though I was suspicious that it would.
There is zero fruit on the nose – the spice and alcohol on the nose overpower everything.
I think that it would not overpower the creaminess of the peanut butter, but would stand up to the salty, meatiness of the bacon.
I decided NOT to show the violence between Simon & Billy, as I felt that would overpower the message of the story – which was about friendship and loyalty.