from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A method of teaching elementary reading and spelling based on the phonetic interpretation of ordinary spelling.
- n. Phonetics.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of how the sounds of words are represented by spelling.
- n. A method of teaching elementary reading based on the phonetic interpretation of normal spelling.
- n. Phonetics.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. same as phonetics.
- n. a method of teaching reading and spelling to beginning students, emphasizing the sound values of individual letters and syllables, and the relationship between pronunciation and spelling. Contrasted to
whole language methodand sentence method.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The doctrine or science of sounds, especially those of the human voice; phonetics.
- n. The art of combining musical sounds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. teaching reading by training beginners to associate letters with their sound values
A solid foundation in phonics is now requirement in UK schools, starting from around age four.
In general, phonics is better for kids who are in danger of never learning to read, while whole word is better for helping smarter kids read faster.
This dichotomy between “whole language” and phonics is false.
It also seems to me that a little bit of phonics is very useful and goes a long way, but at some point you pass the threshold and have to switch to a whole language approach. blah Says:
Synthetic phonics is another system that has been around for a long time and taught me to read many years ago.
Zoo-phonics is a wonderful way to teach younger children the letters and their sounds.
Learning phonics is time consuming but it is something your child has to do to be able to read properly.
Also phonics, is great, they teach letter sounds and how to blend, maybe that is his problem. also reading to him every night is very important, and getting him to follow along! csucdartgirl
Synthetic phonics is a method to teach reading which emphasises first learning the …
Synthetic phonics is a method to teach reading which emphasises first learning the … kindergarten activities patterns | Kindergarten Sight Words