from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the property of emitting light for a period of time after the source of excitation is taken away, e.g., in electrostatic storage tubes and cathode-ray tubes.
- n. A phosphorescent substance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Shining with a phosphoric light; luminous without sensible heat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Shining with a faint light or luminosity like that of phosphorus; luminous without sensible heat.
- n. A substance having the property of phosphorescence, or luminosity without heat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. emitting light without appreciable heat as by slow oxidation of phosphorous
Extract from a letter by Mr. S.C. Patterson, second officer of the P. and O. steamship _Delta_: a spectacle which the _Journal_ continues to call phosphorescent:
Wherever it is rubbed, in the dark, on a door, or on a wall, it leaves a luminous trail of a very peculiar appearance, which has been called phosphorescent, from the name of the substance which produces it.
Mr. Hoepfner however thinks the dispersion of the diamond by this great heat should be called a phosphorescent evaporation of it, rather than a combustion; and from its other analogies of crystallization, hardness, transparency, and place of its nativity, wishes again to replace it amongst the precious stones.
When zinc and sulphur are hested together in close vessels the sulphur rises in vapour without t ing to the zinc; but it is staled by Mr.E. Davy, that in some ex - perimenls made in the laboratoiy of the Royal Institution, in which sulphur in vapour was passed over melted zinc, they united, and formed a white crystalline substance, analogous to the substauce found in nature, and called phosphorescent blende.
'phosphorescent' - but the children are still and utterly captivated.
- to call the phosphorescent-Slurpee spill of paint on our Genesis coupe: Lime Rock Green.
But once you start talking about washing sperm, intrauterine insemination, Microsort where they actually paint sperm with some kind of phosphorescent dye--eek, IVf, etc., that's up to you.
From behind his half-lowered eyelashes they shone with a kind of phosphorescent gleam — if I may so express myself — which was not the reflection of a fervid soul or of a playful fancy, but a glitter like to that of smooth steel, blinding but cold.
Waited until the light died down, then died out, leaving behind only the diagram, the lines now covered with a kind of phosphorescent slime.
From behind his half-lowered eyelashes they shone with a kind of phosphorescent gleam -- if I may so express myself -- which was not the reflection of a fervid soul or of a playful fancy, but a glitter like to that of smooth steel, blinding but cold.