from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to physiology.
- adj. Being in accord with or characteristic of the normal functioning of a living organism.
- adj. Of or being an additive primary color.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to physiology.
- adj. Relating to the action of a drug when given to a healthy person, as distinguished from its therapeutic action.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to physiology; relating to the science of the functions of living organism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a physiologic character.
- Originating in normal physical conditions, as opposed to pathological.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to the biological study of physiology
- adj. of or consistent with an organism's normal functioning
Sorry, no etymologies found.
So, you know, I think as you and I have talked about in the past, it's not so much about the age in years as it is what we call physiological health.
"The term physiological coherence is often used to describe a physiological mode that encompasses entrainment, resonance and synchronization, which are all distinct but related physiological phenomena that are frequently associated with more ordered and harmonious interactions among the body's systems.
I can most certainly appreciate the spiritual enrichment that comes from various poses but it can't be at the cost of long-term physiological damage.
Also interesting to me is the bridging of the human body and knowledge; a lot of these rituals rely on a certain physiological change as well, often chemically induced – coffee, alcohol, amphetamines.
The simple act of laughing may deliver short-term physiological benefits like reduced anxiety and promote muscle relaxation.
Whether metaphorically lifted by the machina of aedificatio or elevated by the virtues and colors of architectural ornament, contemplation was characterized as an ascent from the earthly body and was accounted for in physiological terms.
Scientists already know that when people perceive a threat, certain physiological changes occur.
Most discusssion of the Fight or Flight Response today revolves around ways to limit the development of stress, and to counteract the long-term physiological consequences of its activation.
We also anticipate and more often experience positive emotions, which, aside from their long-term physiological benefits, provide immediate and persistent psychological uplift.
They have helped fuse mechanistic molecular biology with integrative life sciences such as embryology, physiology and immunology and have prompted new technical developments in physiological sciences.