from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun One that planes, especially a machine tool that is used to smooth or finish the surfaces of wood or metal.
  • noun Printing A smooth block of wood used to level a form of type.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In geology, a series of limestones, marls, shales, sandstones, and conglomerates representing the littoral facies of both the lower members (Cenomanian and Turonian) of the Cretaceous system in northeastern Germany. Many of the component beds are highly fossiliferous and contain chiefly ammonites, echinoderms, pelecypods, and brachiopods.
  • noun A power-tool of the largest class for planing massive pieces of metal which can be surfaced or machined by a cutting-tool working in a straight line.
  • noun A tool for planing wood; a plane; also, a plan-ing-machine.
  • noun A utensil for smoothing or leveling salt in salt-cellars.
  • noun In printing, a block of wood, about 9 inches long, 3½ wide, and 3 high, on the top of which is a strip of leather, by means of which the projecting types of a form are beaten down to a level by blows of a mallet.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who, or that which, planes; a planing machine; esp., a machine for planing wood or metals.
  • noun (Print.) A wooden block used for forcing down the type in a form, and making the surface even.
  • noun See under Center.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • adjective comparative form of plane: more plane
  • noun A woodworking tool which smooths a surface or makes one surface of a workpiece parallel to the tool's bed.
  • noun A large machine tool in which the workpiece is traversed linearly (by means of a reciprocating bed) beneath a single-point cutting tool. (Analogous to a shaper but larger and with the workpiece moving instead of the tool.) Planers can generate various shapes, but were most especially used to generate large, accurate flat surfaces. The planer is nowadays obsolescent, having been mostly superseded by large milling machines.
  • noun archaic, printing A wooden block used for forcing down the type in a form, and making the surface even.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a power tool for smoothing or shaping wood


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word planer.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.