from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In photography, a movable frame fitted to a camera, used to contain and transport a sensitized plate, which is exposed to the image projected by the lens by withdrawing a slide or shutter after the holder is in position in the camera; a dark-slide; a plate-frame.
  • noun A pneumatic device for holding a photographic plate during development or other manipulation.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word plate-holder.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.