from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In bookbinding, a flat knife (about 6 inches long, 1½ inches wide, and ¼ inch thick) with a rounded and pointed cutting-face, sharpened on one side only, which follows the groove of the bookbinders' plow in cutting books or paper.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word plow-knife.


  • The forwarder, with his customary apron of leather, is in the foreground, making use of a plow-knife for trimming the edges of a book.

    Bibliomania in the Middle Ages Frederick Somner Merryweather


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.