from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A plumb or plummet considered with reference to its use in testing the level of a plane. Also called pendulum-level.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word plumb-level.


  • Test the ends with your plumb-level and when they are found to be correct nail all the rafters securely in place and stiffen the centre pair with a piece called a "collar."

    Shelters, Shacks and Shanties Daniel Carter Beard 1895


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.